Thursday, April 16, 2009

Psalm 49

I love the "I wills" and "I shalls" in this psalm The kingdom of heaven is something one has to work toward. Even though we have the gift of salvation, there is the danger of being spiritually lazy. A determination is needed.

Luke 15:16 speaks of pressing into the kingdom. This means that we must decrease and God must increase in us. John 3:30 Jesus came to make ready a people prepared for the Lord. Luke 1:17 We are told in Matthew 11:12 that the kingdom of Heaven suffers violence and the violent takes it by force. Psalm 27:4 says, "One thing have I desired and that I will seek after." Ecclesiastes 9:10 speaks of doing a thing with all our might. In Matthew 7:14, we are told that narrow is the way. And in Luke 8:24, we are told to strive to enter in at the strait gate. Galatians 5:24 tells us to crucify the flesh's wrong affections and lusts. And we are told in Revelations that we must not be lukewarm.

In this psalm, the psalmist is concerned with one's mouth and one's ears. Jesus tells us to be careful how we hear. We Christians try not to sin but we often ignore things that don't seem totally sinful to us. But Jesus tells us that how we hear, what we incline our ear to, and how we speak are very very important. To not watch our mouth or our ears is to be quite lazy...and not spiritual at all.

Another thing that comes to me today about this psalm is verse 16. I feel like asking, "Why should I be afraid when someone gets rich? Should I be?" But I guess some folks are. I don't understand this verse. Will have to ponder it.

Psalm 49

1Hear this, all ye people; give ear, all ye inhabitants of the world:
2Both low and high, rich and poor, together.
3My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart shall be of understanding.
4I will incline mine ear to a parable: I will open my dark saying upon the harp.
5Wherefore should I fear in the days of evil, when the iniquity of my heels shall compass me about?
6They that trust in their wealth, and boast themselves in the multitude of their riches;
7None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:
8(For the redemption of their soul is precious, and it ceaseth for ever:)
9That he should still live for ever, and not see corruption.
10For he seeth that wise men die, likewise the fool and the brutish person perish, and leave their wealth to others.
11Their inward thought is, that their houses shall continue for ever, and their dwelling places to all generations; they call their lands after their own names.
12Nevertheless man being in honour abideth not: he is like the beasts that perish.
13This their way is their folly: yet their posterity approve their sayings. Selah.
14Like sheep they are laid in the grave; death shall feed on them; and the upright shall have dominion over them in the morning; and their beauty shall consume in the grave from their dwelling.
15But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave: for he shall receive me. Selah.
16Be not thou afraid when one is made rich, when the glory of his house is increased;
17For when he dieth he shall carry nothing away: his glory shall not descend after him.
18Though while he lived he blessed his soul: and men will praise thee, when thou doest well to thyself.
19He shall go to the generation of his fathers; they shall never see light.
20Man that is in honour, and understandeth not, is like the beasts that perish.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts