Sunday, September 06, 2009

Maximum Achievement Project needs book donations

Got this from my friend Dera. Am passing it on. -C

MAP
Merritt College
12500 Campus Drive
Oakland, CA 94619

September 4, 2009

Dear Authors/Publishers

I am writing to you for what I consider and what I hope you consider a good cause. I am employed by Merritt Community College in Oakland, California. In my capacity with the College I work with instructors in curriculum development and assisting students. My other capacity is working with a program, MAP. Maximum Achievement Project (MAP) is a federally funded program whose goal is to increase graduation rates of African-American males and other low-income students. Merritt College is the only college, two-year or four-year institution, in the Western U.S. that received this grant. See website: http://www.merritt.edu/apps/comm.asp?Q=40836

MAP is sponsoring an African American Male Conference on Saturday, September 19, 2009 from 8:00am- 4:00pm. The theme of the conference is entitled Preparing Leaders for the World. In my capacity as staff assistant with the program, I am soliciting items for our goody bags, giveaways and prizes for the event. I come to you authors asking for copies of your books, any amount you are willing to give. The goal is to expose these young men, who are invested in obtaining higher education, to diverse literature as well as familiarize them to the writings of the plethora of Black writers in our midst. Some of the books will perhaps be added to our growing library. Please note that your donation will be considered tax deductible and you will also be acknowledged in our program. Books with men as the main character or male-centered themes are especially sought, but all donations are welcome, both fiction and nonfiction.

I hope you will join us in making this national conference a success. Please send donations to:

Merritt College
12500 Campus Drive, Q300
Oakland, CA 94619
Attn: Dera Williams/MAP

Thank you in advance for your kindness.
Sincerely,
Dera Williams
MAP Staff Assistant
Contact info: dwilliams (A) peralta.edu

1 comment:

Dera Williams said...

Thanks for the support Carole.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts