Sunday, February 08, 2009

Psalm 16

This is the first time we come to the word "miktam"
A miktam means something permanent, pictures that are steadfast and unmovable. It also means something made of gold, something hidden, or a great teaching. Wow, think about that. As a creative type I would so love to consider my works to be something golden, permanent, so classically true and well-wrought that it tells a permanent truth and is permanently in the canon.

When I read this psalm I connected it with David and therefore with the usual believer and his trials, but then the psalm turns into a prophetic statement spoken by God's chosen in that he declares his body will not see corruption.

My husband has been meditating on the beautiful verse, "I have a goodly inheritance." Sometimes we don't see that. But by faith we must...so we can fight the good fight.

Psalm 16

A miktam of David. [a]

1 Keep me safe, O God,
for in you I take refuge.
2 I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord;
apart from you I have no good thing."

3 As for the saints who are in the land,
they are the glorious ones in whom is all my delight. [b]

4 The sorrows of those will increase
who run after other gods.
I will not pour out their libations of blood
or take up their names on my lips.

5 LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup;
you have made my lot secure.

6 The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.

7 I will praise the LORD, who counsels me;
even at night my heart instructs me.

8 I have set the LORD always before me.
Because he is at my right hand,
I will not be shaken.

9 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will rest secure,

10 because you will not abandon me to the grave, [c]
nor will you let your Holy One [d] see decay.

11 You have made [e] known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.


Footnotes:

Psalm 16:1 Title: Probably a literary or musical term
Psalm 16:3 Or As for the pagan priests who are in the land / and the nobles in whom all delight, I said:
Psalm 16:10 Hebrew Sheol
Psalm 16:10 Or your faithful one
Psalm 16:11 Or You will make

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts