Sunday, February 08, 2009

Weekend Movie Viewing: Regained Innocence

So what did I watch over the weekend? Akeelah and the Bee and High School Fantasy! Don't laugh. Wow, they were innocent and sweet and fun. I had totally forgotten I had this incredibly cheesy side of me that loved stuff like this.

Akeelah is about a smart black elementary school kid with a hispanic kinda boyfriend (but they're kids so it's very sweet and innocent) and a tough semi-bitter worried mom. Akeelah has a gift for spelling but she's in Crenshaw -- the hood-- and well, yadda yadda. The thing is predictable as heck but nonetheless very nice and fits into the sports/underdog/my hometown believes in me kinda flick. The formula kinda got to me sometimes but on the whole i loved it.

Then there was High School Fantasy! I watched this because honestly Scifi channel has been repeating itself way too often. One would think the channel had money to buy more flicks. Or would schedule themselves better. In this one, jock hottie and geekie hottie-ess join together to sing with evil villainess teenaged brother and sisters fighting them. So sweet, this flick. And my fave song was Status Quo. I think I watched this also because I have seen so many parodies of that status quo dance scene that I figured I should just go ahead and watch the thing. Way neat.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts