Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Revisions Coming Along

Constant Tower is coming along. I'm really liking it. There are places that are kinda flat and lack emotion but there are other sections that make me say, "Wow! This thing isn't half bad! Actually, it's quite good." So it makes me work to make the bad sections way better.

Must commit to the regimen, though and try to get some sleep.

Am not sure about the ending at present. So I'm just going to continue writing and see what's what. I've got the basic end in there as a kind of placeholder but am not sure of what my characters are gonna say when they get their goals. And Ktwala is where the issue turns: Is she a true sacrificer? Is she just beaten by circumstances and doing it cause she's got really no strength left to argue? And what will Psal do?

Also, I keep wondering if I haven't slighted Ktwala and the Voca Queen. Ktwala is good but it's kinda not her story. And Ezbel, the Voca Queen, really needs a truly nasty scene to show her evil. So far, I've shown her cruelty but since she hasn't done my main characters any harm, it's always been her evil shown second-hand. ::shrugging:: Not sure if I really need to show her evil towards the heroes til the end though. (Although it is a good idea to make one's villain hated all along. Uhm...maybe I just don't hate her as much as I should. Always a problem with me and my villains.) I got to worrying if I haven't shown the two older women as well as I could. But honestly, they aren't the main characters so why am I getting all bent out of shape about this? Fear of feminist friends thinking I failed the ladies? Uhm, will see what happens.

But so far, it's really quite lovely. Not as full of my personal griefs as Wind Follower. But still pretty personal. Yet the characters are distant, and separate from me. And it touches my heart. Will see. Am trusting God has a home for it -- although it's not as Christian as Wind Follower is. I think Wind Follower was blessed. It's truly a unique odd brave little book. (Dang! WTF?!!! What if I missed the total point and beauty of Constant Tower by purposely avoiding the Christianity of it all! No, I don't want to think about that. Who wants to hear she wrote the right story in the wrong way because she lacked the courage of her conviction and wanted to not upset folks?)

Constant Tower may have suffered a bit because I was so burned by Christians picking at it and by Neth's attacking the pacing. But it's still a beautiful haunting little book and I wish it well. Please, God, please bless it and find it a great little home. And while you're at it, please continue to bless Wind Follower. My heart is in that book.

2 comments:

J. M. Butler said...

Ahh, Constant Tower is going to be another work of art. I'm really excited to see the changes! So far as Ktwala and Ezbel, I think that you'll get the right balance for them. Of course, there is a certain element in the story that makes me think they will perhaps fade and you will use them more in another story. I've found that a lot of times my characters become sort of wanderers until they find the right story to settle into. :-)

Don't feel bad about Windfollower either. I still think it's a beautiful book. And I do pray blessings over it.

One more thought and then I'll head on to bed: Constant Tower can still be and, to my thinking, still is developing. It is in many ways a Christian story and seems to becoming that more and more. If in your spirit, you feel that you need to change parts of the story or alter it, then do it now when you are able or else you may be frustrated with that just as you are about not showing the murdering of the babies in Windfollower. However, with that being said, I also think it's important that you know I believe you are heading in that direction. Constant Tower is not set in stone. As ironic as it is, the story is still floating and discovering itself. Your heart and soul are in it, and the longer you work on it the deeper that becomes. So don't be discouraged by it. It's a work in progress and a work of art. I won't say that I hope it will find a good home because I know that it will. There's a very special place prepared for that book already. Have a great evening. God bless you! Be dangerous.

Carole McDonnell said...

Ah, woman! What would this old girl do without you?

You're such a blessing to me. From the begin and now. And always will be. I thank God for you, Jessica. -C

Blog Archive

Popular Posts