Saturday, September 04, 2010

The Secret, Wayne Dwyer, Deepak Chopra et al

Okay, so listened to Wayne Dwyer who is very Deepak Chopra esque


Listened to a lot of it but he wasn't telling me anything the Bible didn't tell me and there was so much truth mixed in with untruth and human wisdom that I had to turn it off.

I mean for instance, he said we draw things to us by how we are. Very true. St Paul tells us to renew our minds, remove strongholds of thoughts, be not conformed to the world, think of whatever is lovely, true, pure, of good report. BUT St Paul also says that God gives us joy. So if we cannot bring ourselves to joy, God can bring it to us....and uphold us.

Also, He says life will not get better unless you change your mindset and choose joy. Again, partly true, and partly false. God helps our weaknesses. 

And when he says the universe, it's like... I understand what he'[s saying but I also think that God is above the construct. God's MERCY and GRACE ha to be figured in, especially for the weak. FAITH in a helper and a comforter who helps in our weakness. While it is good to work with our own minds, the philosophy has a universe who helps those who helps themselves to be joyful thing. And that doesn't seem true to me. God understands taht from our youth, even as kids our minds have been trained to believe bad. And he works with even the most joyless, sometimes surprising them by joy.

In addition, the "the universe has given me the opportunity to do such and such by allowing me to get cancer." Nah, doesn't work for me. God gives only good things. The devil, our genes, our words, our habits, etc give bad things too.

Then there were his children. His children seem to have suffered from having him as a dad. I've seen this kinda thing with kids of psychotherapists dads. How can one be freely happy in a family when the family construct is that everything that happens in one's life is somehow caused by one's thoughts?

Then life is either karmic retribution in some way, or blessedness because one has been self-made and one has done it all in one's life. Both are equally offensive to me as a Christian.

The we are what we think is pretty Biblical actually. The Bible tells us "As a man thinks in his heart so is he." And "Guard your heart with all diligence because all the things of this life comes out of it." And "Death and life are in the power of the tongue" And "Faith is the substance of what we hope for" And "God calls the seen out of the unseen so we must put aside vain imaginations and think only what is lovely pure true just" and in job "The things I greatly fear have come upon me."


And so so so so many other verses in so many other places. So this isnt' anything new. And it's definitely not new with secular humanists...or to folks into pop quantum physics spirituality or with folks who have read the Secret...or even to Christianity

But the Bible allows a bit of finagling from God. Mercy towards those who don't know this truth. Sudden surprises. Sudden joys...that come to us in spite of our thought life. And this is what bothered me about this particular philosophy, he has no mercy for those who cannot be joyful. 

I truly believe in renewing our minds and getting rid of strongholds of negativity and doubt BUT I have had so many good things happen to me in spite of my negativity that I can't say this philosophy is entirely right. God often is merciful and protects the innocent who are ignorant of this truth.

Essentially, the Secret and much of this philosophy are kinda ripped off from the Bible. Jesus taught us the keys to the kingdom and those spiritual rules of how the world works are everywhere. But he also added God's love into the mix.  And the issue of our sins, and demonic deceptions, etc. 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts