Wednesday, August 26, 2009

old self versus new self

The old self is always rising up to claim only what God has promised to the new self.

Witness so many people who want to be rich and who use the truth found in the gospel to get rich. But are they praying for posterity because it's what God wants? And if we want to pray to prosper so we can help others, are we really wanting to prosper others in order to help them...or for us to look good to others by helping them?

I want God to heal my son. I know it's provided for in the redemption. I know he's working mightily in my son to heal him. And yet, even so... even so...am I willing to die to self and -- if for some weird reason God wants my son to continue ill?

We must put the old self to death. God doesn't do that. We must do it. God's will and mine might be the same yet I must remember that God is healing my son because HE wants my son healed, not because I want my son healed. There's a subtle difference there. Not my will, but God's will be done. I must see that.

Ephesians 3:19-21 (King James Version)

19And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
20Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
21Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.


According to the power that works in us. God is only able to do exceedingly above all that we ask or think....according to the power that works in us. And that power is to know the love of Christ, to know the humility of Christ who said "Not my will, but thine be done."

God wants to give to the new humbled self, not to the old self. The old self must not ask for what is promised to the new self.

James 4:3 (King James Version)

3Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.


The only reason for praying is for the glory of God

John 14:12-14 (King James Version)

12Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
13And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.


Lord, help me to put off the rebellious, egotistical old self. You don't bargain with the old self. You want me to put aside the old self. Help me to put on the new self. I want to pray with the right motive for what you want to give me. Help me to glorify the father in the son. Amen.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts