Sunday, June 08, 2008

prophetess encounter

Okay, I'll be real upfront about this. I distrust prophetesses. I tend to look askance at them. Maybe Prophetess Bynum turned me off them with her loudness and her tendency to take over every program she's on. But generally, I'm just real iffy.

So when Cecile the pastor of a local Jamaican church said that a certain prophetess -- who clothes herself in white linen from head to toe-- was gonna be guest preaching....well, I wasn't too thrilled. I've seen this prophetess. She's a sweet soul but... well, the outfit kinda turned me off.

Upshot we arrive at 2:30 -- a full three hours after church starts, mind you. Hey, these are sweet Jamaican ladies and they understand our situation with younger son. So I figure I better go up for prayer. The prophetess started receiving a word for me. And of course I'm all set to humor her. And what does she say?

"The Lord knows when you rise up and when you go to bed. The Lord has seen your bed. The Lord knows your bed. The Lord has seen your bed. Are you looking for new living quarters?"

I couldn't help bursting out in laughter. Well, wow!!!! The woman is totally a child of God. Pit bull puppy went to town ripping our bed to shreds. We sleep on a mattress that has holes, eaten out padding and exposed springs. In fact, in order to sleep on it, we have to put on tons of blankets and tablecloths on the bed in order not to feel the springs. Picture the Princess and the Pea. In addition, before the doggy got to the mattress, the spring was broken so we've been sleeping for a while now on a mattress on a bedboard on the floor. (Hey, when you are low on money, you don't spend time on repairing a bed.) Isn't God funny? Plus the fact that she mentioned the living conditions and my wanting to move. She was right on! She said we would get a new bed soon and it would be an anointed bed. I know what God meant by that....that our new bed will be free from the bitterness and hurt and grief that this old bed has seen.

The interesting thing about prophecies is that when one gets them one is sometimes afraid to mention them...especially if they are weird. I could see her struggling with what she saw. Another prophet would've spiritualized what was seen by fudging around and avoiding the silly image: "Carole, I declare the Lord will give you rest." Something like that. Because sometimes these things are just so odd and folks start interpreting the revelation they see instead of simply telling what they see. Just really neat.

Upshot? I feel blessed. Heck, I knew I was. But I've been feeling God's presence all day.

Okay, in a hour and a half am off to my other church. The Ecuadorean evangelical church. From heavy Jamaican accents to total Spanish. Hey, I go where God calls me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thats interesting that you go to two different churches, where I am from that would be called- bad! I'm serious! I really like your spirit, Carole and I haven't met you yet.

I have two prophetesses at my church and sometimes I feel bad that I do not know what my giftings are. The pstor is a sweet woman and gives her last dime to anyone, but she does call on certain people to come up front and says "Gow says..." to them and I feel like, "why was I even created? What are gifts to the world/spirit?" I don't know. I speak in tongues sometimes, but I definitely can't interpret nor translate them, I do not jump and dance(although I clap and stomp), and I cry somtimes(not all the times) geesh! Why do I feel bad?

Oh, and let me know when you have that new bed. :)

Carole McDonnell said...

Wow!!! That's odd! No, folks around here can go to two or more churches. Many of them do. And the two churches I attend are at different times.

The Lord told me in a dream to go to the Ecuadorean church -- even though I don't know Spanish and I'm Black and tall and fat....and everyone in that church is hispanic and thin and short. The Lord sent me so....

The other church is a Jamaican church and I like being around Jamaicans. Plus it's such a low-key sort of place with women who are like your aunties. I like this church because I can bring my son and they can pray for him and if he acts up they ignore it.

There are a couple baptist churches in my neighborhood. One which is white baptist and doesn't believe in gifts of the spirit. One which is black baptist. Actually, I'm within walking distances of a great many churches.

I am sure you have certain gifts. When you speak in tongues just allow the spirit to let your mind wander. And if someone comes to your mind while you pray, understand that God is making you pray for them and asking you to pray for them. Interpretation of tongues is often impressionistic. The gifts work by faith and love. So if you feel God wanting you to say something to someone say it with what faith you have.

Stay in the word. Sing praises to God. Speak in tongues. If you do all that you could end up fellowshiping with God about an hour a day. And the most important thing is to say to God every morning, "Use me today. If a friend comes to me at midnight asking for bread, give me bread to give him. Let me know that I have bread to give him. Give me a word of wisdom or comfort or peace or truth or knowledge for this person."

It's not really about having a gift...it's about having a gift for a particular situation or a particular person at a particular time. Don't think globally, think of each day having many opportunities for the spirit to use you. -C
-C

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement, thanks Carole!

Carole McDonnell said...

Anon, you have got to tell me your name. Please!!!! -C

Carole McDonnell said...

Anon -- one thing more:

You have to believe that you have received. And walk in that faith. Trust that God has placed the holy spirit, the seed of healing, the whatever inside you. The MOMENT you asked. God said he who asks, receives. God says, "it was at the moment he believed that his servant was healed." So don't keep not believing that God isn't using you. Start believing that he IS using you. Then one day you will see that he is. First the blade, then the full fruit. Don't despise the day of small things. Don't quench the holy spirit by neglecting the gifts given to you by the laying on of hands of the elders/presbytery. Trust that the gifts and calling of God are without repentance and are lying in you waiting for you to simply believe you HAVE them. Read Ephesians. God HAS already given us these things. Believe you HAVE them. That's what I'm doing with my health and my son's health. Walking by faith that God has already given. -C

Anonymous said...

I will have a site up soon. My real name is Erica, by the way. I am so glad you have a blogsite too, so I can ask questions. You always respond so quickly too!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts