Friday, February 10, 2012

Seek ye first

Most Christians -- me included-- should learn to seek God first. It's mostly a matter of habit, I think. Because I believe that most serious Christians truly love the Lord. There are a few who have a sentimental love, to be sure. And there are a few who are really more into legalism than any real adoration/attachment of the Lord but for the most part the folks who love God really do love Him, and the folks who love the Living Word of God personified in Jesus really appreciate Jesus...and the folks who are grateful to the Holy Spirit really are grateful to Him.

Hosea tells us in chapter 4: My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.

But it gets even worse in chapter 8:

2Israel shall cry unto me, My God, we know thee.
3Israel hath cast off the thing that is good: the enemy shall pursue him.
4They have set up kings, but not by me: they have made princes, and I knew it not: of their silver and their gold have they made them idols, that they may be cut off.
12I have written to him the great things of my law, but they were counted as a strange thing.


Imagine that: God says, "if I were to tell people about the great things in this religion I've given them, they would think it was all a bit strange."

That's how bad it is. We have people in all these Christian denominations who think they know their religion but what they know is the interpretation of their priests and ministers and the doctrines of their denominations. Not always bad, mind you. But in a matter as important as our life on earth and our life after death, we really should remember what Jesus said:

Matthew 15:14 "Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch."

Luke 6:39 "And he spake a parable unto them, Can the blind lead the blind? shall they not both fall into the ditch?"

So what do we do with what is basically spiritual slothfulness and bad habits? And these habits cause us not to seek FIRST the kingdom of God. The Bible tells us to seek ye first the kingdom of God. IT doesn't say to go to the church once or twice a week and see what verses the minister has been seeking. It amazes me that we who have a religion where our Lord was highly cynical about ministers and priests should end up with an attitude where we believe everything our ministers say without searching and rightly dividing the truth ourselves.

So we must let the word of God dwell in us richly. We must talk to those we love in order to grow from love. This means we must set up our lives in such a way to allow for God's word, God's friendship, God's presence to be more and more in our lives.

A good thing to do is to listen to Bible tapes or sermons in the morning when one is dressing, and at bedtime when one goes to sleep. A tape-playing radio. Download sermons from the internet. Do a daily Bible study in the morning with one's hubby. Have a friend who you do daily Bible studies with in the morning. It can be done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am trying that now, hooking up with people who Love God and want to study His Word deeply. I curently try that online through IM's because good friends are so far away sometimes, and I have my sister reading good books that are inspirational, so I am trying :)

Blog Archive

Popular Posts