Monday, January 12, 2009

Psalm 5

I first got acquainted with Psalm 5 when I heard Keith Green's arrangement. This is the nearest we have right now.



It's a great psalm.. and I really haven't studied the rest of it. But, hey, since I'm doing this blogging of the psalms I'll have to go through all of it.

In this Psalm, David asks God to hear him. Just as the Israelites gathered manna in the morning, David speaks to God early in the morning. He declares that God should listen to him because his own lips are pure and he himself is free from sinfulness and iniquity.

He tells God what he knows about God. God loves the righteous, God knows the way a man should walk, God is merciful, and God will destroy the wicked and the rebellious who either don't know the way or who don't care to ask God what the true path is.

He reminds God that God gives great favour to the righteous people and that God protects good people. This calls to my mind, Abraham's question to God, "Shall not the God of all the earth do right?" David tells God that God is righteous. God would not harm the righteous. Okay, in this psalm David claims righteousness. This sounds odd to us Christians who feel that no one was righteous. But remember this was a person speaking under the law. He was living under the law and he had a relationship with God. So he was righteous. Now, we Christians might feel we should talk about God's righteousness when we seek help from Him. The way I see it, "if you're desperate, just tell your heart!" That's what God wants. Honesty. And if you're unrighteous --despite the cleansing blood of Jesus that makes us righteous, some Christians do sin-- God will tell you about it. But no matter what, speak to Him.

Psalm 5 (New International Version)

For the director of music. For flutes. A psalm of David.

1Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my meditation.

2Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray.

3My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.

4For thou art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee.

5The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

6Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the LORD will abhor the bloody and deceitful man.

7But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple.

8Lead me, O LORD, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy way straight before my face.

9For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is very wickedness; their throat is an open sepulchre; they flatter with their tongue.

10Destroy thou them, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions; for they have rebelled against thee.

11But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.

12For thou, LORD, wilt bless the righteous; with favour wilt thou compass him as with a shield.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts