Monday, January 19, 2009

When God Sends A Troubling Dream

When God sends a troubling dream, it prompts it prompts us to realize we don't know everything with human knowledge. It makes us go to God and ask for mercy for him to show us what we don't know.

Many dreams are from our own psyche. They deal with what our bodies and our minds are telling us. These are troubling in their own way because often they tell us what we don't know or ask us to explore what we don't want to explore.

But some dreams come from God. Remember, this is the dreaming generation -- and probably this is why so many in this generation are troubled by insomnia and sleeplessness because the devil doesn't want us to dream dreams and see visions. But when we get a dream from God we feel it. A dream from God tells what is in God's mind. What's in God's mind we don't know. But the God of all the earth doesn't do anything unless he shares it with his people the prophets.

Sometimes these dreams are clear and easy to interpret. Sometimes they aren't that clear. Daniel saw the dream King Nebuchadnezzar had dreamed. But it was difficult to interpret without God's help. He had to get his other friends Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. These four kids, about fifteen or sixteen, had a prayer meeting and God explained the troubling dream to them.

Remember the vision of the handwriting on the wall. The words were: Numbered, Weighed, Divided. A math puzzle. Now, what if we had dreamed and seen = - and a scale. What would we think of these symbols. We'd be troubled of course. We cannot understand what is going on without God helping us.

Daniel and his friends cried to God for MERCY to help them understand the dream. He told them its meaning. And with that, they saved their lives. The king's astrologers had admitted that no God would tell such a thing, that if the gods existed mere humans couldn't ask them for help in such a strange thing. But Daniel proved God's existence and closeness to man by showing the king that God has a purpose for the king's life. There is human wisdom and there is God's wisdom and there are certain things we simply don't know unless we ask God to tell us . . . in his mercy.

In the future, God will show us many dreams, let us learn to seek him and his interpretation...by praying to him for mercy for the dream. In the present, we really need to be aware that God knows many things about our present that we aren't aware of. The world teaches us that we need the wisdom of its wise men. We -- even Christians-- say, "What will happen to me if I don't listen to the advice of the experts?" But what do we do when the experts can't help us? or disagree? or when those who follow the advice of experts fail or die or lose money? Then we turn to God. But shouldn't we train ourselves from our youth, as Daniel did, to trust God as the Expert? Listening to the experts is a modern day idolatry and I'll admit I have to fight their advice.

Paul said in 1 Corinthians 1 "God will destroy the wisdom of the wise."

I've had three friends die from immune system illnesses -- because they listened to doctors. The experts - nutritional, neurological, biological, alternative medicine-- have not helped either my son or me. But luckily, they have not killed us. We can trust God. He has told us that we walk in the light if we trust in Him.

Dear Lord Jesus, save me from what I don't know. Deliver me from what I cannot see. Deliver me from the earthly and physical things my mind and heart and body have gotten used to. Open my eyes Lord that I might see. Be merciful to me Lord because I cannot know anything in this world unless you open my eyes. Amen.


Genesis 41:8 And it came to pass in the morning that his spirit was troubled; and he sent and called for all the magicians of Egypt, and all the wise men thereof: and Pharaoh told them his dream; but there was none that could interpret them unto Pharaoh. Genesis 41:7-9

Daniel 2:1 And in the second year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar Nebuchadnezzar dreamed dreams, wherewith his spirit was troubled, and his sleep brake from him.

Daniel 2:3 And the king said unto them, I have dreamed a dream, and my spirit was troubled to know the dream.

Daniel 4:5 I saw a dream which made me afraid, and the thoughts upon my bed and the visions of my head troubled me. Daniel 4:4-6

Then Daniel, whose name was Belteshazzar, was astonied for one hour, and his thoughts troubled him. The king spake, and said, Belteshazzar, let not the dream, or the interpretation thereof, trouble thee. Belteshazzar answered and said, My lord, the dream be to them that hate thee, and the interpretation thereof to thine enemies.
Daniel 4:18-20

Zechariah 10:2 For the idols have spoken vanity, and the diviners have seen a lie, and have told false dreams; they comfort in vain: therefore they went their way as a flock, they were troubled, because there was no shepherd. Zechariah 10:1-3

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts