Tuesday, December 16, 2008

We who live at the end of time

I dreamed I was at church and singing Alia De Cilo when suddenly an alarm sounded in the sky all around. Everyone in the church looked up. And the front door suddenly clamped shut.

I don't know what Alia de Cilo is. I got the feeling of several Bible verses.

The doors being shut and those inside with the bridegroom, while those outside can't enter in.
Joel: "Sound an alarm in my holy mountain. Let all the inhabitants of the land tremble for the day of the lord cometh, for it is nigh at hand."

I know that Jesus is coming for an unspotted unblemished church and I know that we are told that true religion is to take care of the widows and orphans and to keep ourselves unspotted from the world. But I find myself wondering what exactly unblemished means. It seems to me the church is pretty blemished right now so I don't know if Jesus could come now. I mean if we have a church in the united states that gets into fleshly discussions about doctrines and denominations or if we live in a country where most of the black churches voted for a black president while most of the white churches voted for the white presidential candidate. . . it seems we are too divided by race, class, etc.

Of course, there is always the invisible churches. There are tares among the wheat ...and maybe God's people are indeed unblemished. And maybe the only blemish right now that a Christian can have is to be self-righteous and to trust in her own works. Either way, Jesus knows who is his.

::worried look on face:: very scary, though to see the doors clamped shut in the dream. As if from that moment on, there would be no time for salvation. I know scientists have discovered that the universe is finite, that past a certain place, there is no longer time or space.. . and that the universe is no longer growing past a particular part. But as a Christian I always grew up with the idea that one could always go to God, that there was always time to seek for salvation. And to see the door shut -- the time of the end of God's working in earth or among the gentiles-- well, it was kinda terrifying. There are still so many people I've wanted to share the salvation message to.

Looked up alia on the internet:

Alia is a city built by Arabians in Spain.

Inter Alia: Latin: "among other things", "for example" or "including". Legal drafters would use it to precede a list of examples or samples covered by a more general descriptive statement. Sometimes they use an inter alia list to make absolutely sure that users of the document understand that the general description covers a certain element (which was covered in the general description anyway) without, in any way, restricting the scope of the general element to include other things that were not singled out in the inter alia list. It also means all.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts