Sunday, January 03, 2010

Vids of Arawak Indians worshiping

My maternal grandfather, James Higgins was part Arawak. So I'm descended from African and Native American tribes.

Am gonna sound really stupid here. But although my grandfather was descended from the Arawaks, he was Jamaican...and since 99% of the Jamaican Arawaks were killed off or intermarried with Africans, I really never think of the Jamaican Arawaks as a living tribe. And I never thought of Arawaks from other West Indian or Caribbean countries. I guess I really should.





















1 comment:

Satima Flavell said...

That's fascinating, Carole! I thought the Spaniards killed just about all the indigenous people of the Carribean, but the Wikipedia article on Awaraks says the majority of the populations of Aruba, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and part of the Haitian population are descended from them, at least in part. They are good looking people, aren't they?

Blog Archive

Popular Posts