Thursday, July 10, 2008

the tao of belief

I have always been one who liked seeing the similarities among religions...and how similar Christianity is and yet how subtly it stands out. Anyway, someone asked me, "But could you believe in hell? I gave up on Christianity because I just think the entire idea of hell is a monstrous idea. God wouldn't do that."

I wanted to say to her, "What a fool you are! Even if I didn't believe in Christianity I would believe in hell. Most religions have a place people simply do not wish to go. Many Buddhist sects for instance believe in a hell. Islam has a hell. Folklore religions have hells. The ancient Greeks had a hell."

Honestly, some people! They think they are being so deep but they don't seem to realize that they're showing their own lack of knowledge about religions in general and Christianity in particular.

The book Eternity in their Hearts by a missionary shows how very like folklore, myth, and legend Christianity actually is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was on a site today by Atheist Eve. I was reading and article, and poof, here comes this girl who has a lot of rebuttals to Christianity, not more so on other religions, just Christians and I felt sad and discouraged. I'm like: Wow people really do not have a concept of Heaven nor Hell. She is a graphic artist, so she has cartoon drawings of religious people and them being "stupid"
-erica

Carole McDonnell said...

One can never rebut folks like that because they don't know what they don't know. For instance they sometimes say there is no proof outside of the gospels that Jesus lived. Yet there is tons of archeological proof. Or they say Christianity is just like the mystery religions (as if all the mystery religions were the same and as if all the mystery religions actually had someone dying for the sins of others. And they also include mystery religions that began after Christianity began and incorporated some Christian ideas. )

Some great books are books by Josh McDowell. Evidence that Demands a Verdict and He walked among us. Also G K Chesterton's Orthodoxy.

Don't deal with those folks.
-C

Anonymous said...

I really won't deal with it. Certain sites I don't need to linger on...thanks again, Carole.
-Erica

Blog Archive

Popular Posts