Friday, July 25, 2008

The wrath to come

Revelation 11:16-19
“...but your wrath has come.” (v.18)

Recently I watched a movie whose premise was that human life was ultimately meaningless. I was grieving about my mother’s death and the movie only added to my despair.

The Book of Revelation is a book which some view as hopeful, but which others consider doom-laden, vindictive, superstitious, or world-hating. This awe-inspiring description of God can encourage a reader. Or it could disturb those who don’t like the idea of a wrathful God.

The Bible has many passages which, if encountered at the wrong time can offend readers, cause them to question God, or reject Christianity. I love the book of Revelations, however. I like the idea of God taking the world back.

But I’ll tell you a secret: I dislike King David. I consider him a bad father and horrible husband. Nothing wrong with avoiding Biblical passages that upset or unnerve us. The time will come when the Holy Spirit will lovingly guide us through those spiritual paths we fear.

Jesus, great Author and Finisher of my faith, help me to read the books your servants have written. Amen.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts