Have a Sense of Humor.
Jesus was the Word, and as such, He could have His puns. He made many jokes. When he saw Nathaniel, he described him as “a true Israelite in which there is no guile.” That was a pun on the meaning of the name "Jacob" and “Israel.” When his disciples realized they had power through faith? to do both destructive and creative acts, they wanted to call thunder from heaven, he called them the "Thunder Boys." The jokes have a bit of truth in them, but they are nevertheless jokes. Jesus is not humorless. If the Western Text of the Bible is write about translating Jesus’ comment as, “It is easier for a rich man to enter heaven than for a camel to enter the eye of a needle,” then that is also a joke. The Bible is full of jokes. People who can't recognize a joke when they see one often turn a simple joke into a sermon. Even worse, they believe Jesus to be humorless and unapproachable.
Humor gets a bad rap sometimes. True, St Paul told believers to be serious and Solomon says it is better to be in the house of mourning than to be in the house of feasting. They are right. But a joke now and then shows that God is not some stiff-upper-lipped Englishman in the sky who has nothing better to do than to slap people for not behaving.
- ► 2015 (32)
- ► 2014 (63)
- ► 2013 (80)
- ► 2012 (119)
- ► 2011 (198)
- ► 2010 (156)
- ► 2009 (499)
- A Bible WTH moment: Psalm 51
- Father's discipline
- The Bible
- Certain Men
- How to do a Bible character study
- Types of Bible Study
- Questions God asks in the Bible
- How to read a prophetic Bible passage
- The Road to Lost Innocence Blog Tour
- Women of a New Tribe
- How to read a poetic Bible passage
- How to read a Bible passage about doctrines
- How to read a Bible epistle or letter
- How to read a Bible story
- FLOW: For Love of Water
- How to read a Bible passage that contains a healin...
- How to read a Bible passage that contains the supe...
- How to do a Bible word study
- What If I read a Bible story and I’m Stumped for a...
- IN WHAT ORDER SHOULD I READ THE BIBLE?
- Questions to ask yourself when reading the Bible?
- If You Don't Know the Meaning of a Passage, Withho...
- Fake, corny, nice
- Humor in the Bible
- The whole armor of God
- Does the blood of Jesus Christ always cleanse?
- Quick Bible study helps
- Quantum Physics: Sound and light and creation
- Psalm 25: humiliation
- We who live at the end of time
- ▼ September (31)
- ► 2007 (102)
Here is a Bible study I wrote once. Instead of simply writing a long article, I simply listed some of the many questions God asks in the Bi...
William Lau of the Elijah Challenge does a rally great job talking about the priestly authority, the kingdom authority, and the prophetic au...
Is there a right way to read it? Should the books be read in any particular order? Most Churches have printed guides which help parishioner...
Once Jesus was praying in a certain place. After he had finished, one of his disciples said to him, "Lord, teach us to pray, as John ta...
This prayer was written by Rich Keltner: Right now, In the Name of the Lord Jesus and by the power of His Blood, I ask the blood o...
I once had a white friend in my writer’s critique group ask me, “Why do you always write about mixed couples? That’s a very bad habit of you...
Am getting back into The Constant Tower. WOW!!! It's so good to be back into a fantastical world. The nobility, the beauty, the angst --...
Hi all: I'm up today for the spec-fic blog hop: Thanks to Jessica Rydill , author of Malarat and Children of the Shaman for ...
Types of Bible Studies: Bible studies may be done singly or as a series. 1. A Bible Study Series can be thematic. Thematic articles can...
Yesterday, early-early, I opened my computer: you were there. A glimpse, merely But later, all my thoughts were of you. II Men should...