Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Psalm 128


Our God is not holy. He is not holy, holy. He is holy, holy, holy. Consider that.

It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the Living God. 

Let me just scare myself a little bit more. Let me terrify myself at pondering this very very very HOLY HOLY HOLY God. I wonder... is it possible that we aren't as fearful of God as we could be?  Too scary to ponder.

When I hear people talking about God saying "no" to our prayers, I ask myself... "Have we really prayed?" "Have I really prayed?" Sometimes I'm in tears for my son and for my health and I pray -- an hour, maybe. And I know I pray everyday and read my Bible everyday.

But Jesus who was holy and sinless prayed all night MOST nights -- (No wonder he fell asleep on the boat...just kidding.) But really, the ancient church would pray for three or four hours a day. And in places like Korea and in certain places in Africa, prayer can go on for that long or longer. So how do we know -- how do I know-- that God has told me he won't answer our prayer?  Have I even prayed?

If someone has an illness and prays one hour a day but watches four hours a day of television and never reads his/her Bible...is that praying? Can the person who has a terminal prognosis who prays for ten minutes a day  and watches TV the other eight hours actually say -- with a clear conscience-- that he or she has prayed and God hasn't answered?

I think about that dream I had of the Laodicean Church. It was really only a dreamlet.
A two-headed mermaid swimming in shallow shoals where hot and cold water met.
That's so us. That's so me. If the mermaid represents the Christian -- <>< being the sign of the church. And also part human. And if the hot and cold water imply lukewarmness. And if the two heads imply being double-minded. And the shallow water representing our lack of depth....how can I say I have prayed and befriended and really clung to this holy holy holy God?

Lord, help me!

Psalm 128

 1Blessed is every one that feareth the LORD; that walketh in his ways.
 2For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands: happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee.
 3Thy wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table.
 4Behold, that thus shall the man be blessed that feareth the LORD.
 5The LORD shall bless thee out of Zion: and thou shalt see the good of Jerusalem all the days of thy life.
 6Yea, thou shalt see thy children's children, and peace upon Israel.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts