Friday, October 16, 2009

Psalm 130


Wow, what a psalm! De profundis! Out of the depths!! I gotta admit it's so hard to cry to God out of the depths. The depths tend to silence a person. The mind goes paralyzed. The heart wants to cry but the eyes just can't do it. It's all very still and paralyzing...but one should cry out. One has to cry out. Sometimes one has to cry out. 

The psalmist says: "Oh Lord, if you mark iniquities, who will stand?" Totally  friggin scary question. And the trouble with calling out of the profound depths is that by the time one has ended up in the depths, one has seen some cold uncaring people on one's way down. Forgetting all my other sins (for the nonce) there is the ever present the sin of forgiving people of all kinds, ilks, persuasions, etc.

But I hope in God's word. Sometimes there's nothing else to hope in. All one can do is lippin to God's word, hold on to it like a straw for dear life and be quite aware that that is all one is hoping in: God has said this, therefore God will do it because God is not a man that He should lie. Has he promised something and not been able to accomplish it? Is His hand straitened that it cannot save?

We do wait for the Lord more than those who wait for the morning. We wait for the morning of our lives to begin at last. 

Psalm 130

 1Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O LORD.
 2Lord, hear my voice: let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.
 3If thou, LORD, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?
 4But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared.
 5I wait for the LORD, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope.
 6My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning: I say, more than they that watch for the morning.
 7Let Israel hope in the LORD: for with the LORD there is mercy, and with him is plenteous redemption.
 8And he shall redeem Israel from all his iniquities.

2 comments:

J. M. Butler said...

Beautiful post! I had never thought about how much the depths silence a person but you're right. Perhaps that is why it is so important to try to find a voice in that dismal place. Thank you for sharing!

Carole McDonnell said...

Thanks, Jessica. I'm glad you liked it. Makes me happy to know someone reads this stuff. -C

Blog Archive

Popular Posts