Sunday, October 18, 2009

Psalm 131


This is one of the first psalms my grandfather taught me. I really have to think about this. Even after all these years. For one, I can't really say this with a straight face. 

For instance, my heart is not really haughty -- unless someone else is haughty to me. And even then I'm not really haughty to them...I just kinda seethe haughtily being their back. Which makes me wonder: does God want his people to be stepped upon by abusive folks? So we have to find a place where we don't have wounded spirit but at the same time haughtiness is not a good response to cruelty. And in any case we really shouldn't be haughty. Humility is where it's at.

Then there's the lofty eyes. I'm pondering that. Do I have arrogant eyes? Or is God saying we shouldn't go around thinking too much of ourselves? 

And what is this weaned child quieting itself thing? Yep, I've studied this psalm for years...and I still have to ponder it. No help here, alas.  But it's still a favorite.

Psalm 131

 1Lord, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty: neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me.
 2Surely I have behaved and quieted myself, as a child that is weaned of his mother: my soul is even as a weaned child.
 3Let Israel hope in the LORD from henceforth and for ever.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts