Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Ark of the Lord in the temple of Dagon

Am doing Bible study now with my hubby and we're reading I Samuel chapter 5 where the ark of the lord is in the temple of a demon... and even in the demon's temple God shows Dagon who is the true Lord of the universe. It's a real blessing for me. And I'll be pondering it today and meditating.


1 Then the Philistines took the ark of God and brought it from Ebenezer to Ashdod. 2 When the Philistines took the ark of God, they brought it into the house of Dagon and set it by Dagon. 3 And when the people of Ashdod arose early in the morning, there was Dagon, fallen on its face to the earth before the ark of the LORD. So they took Dagon and set it in its place again. 4 And when they arose early the next morning, there was Dagon, fallen on its face to the ground before the ark of the LORD. The head of Dagon and both the palms of its hands were broken off on the threshold; only Dagon’s torso was left of it. 5 Therefore neither the priests of Dagon nor any who come into Dagon’s house tread on the threshold of Dagon in Ashdod to this day.

I'm still getting off the high I always get on whenever I read Judges -- a great literary book which is totally fun because it shows the flaky stuff pseudo-spiritual and legalistic folks do when they do that which is right in their own eyes.

Then I went through Ruth. Loved it.

So here I am in I Samuel. This time round I felt a real love for Eli. He's a sweet soul. And also thought of Samuel ministering before the Lord in his cute little ephod that his mother made for him. There was a sweetness to that.

So anyway, am now at this passage and am really arrested by it. I really have to ponder it. A part of me is thinking of the temple as our bodies. Imagine our bodies being ruled by an evil strongman within. And then God is brought into this temple of our bodies. And the strongman is made to bow low in his own temple. I'm just pondering it...wow! Even in a place where the world or false religion rules, God within can destroy the system -- or the body, or the household-- destroys the power of the false god and makes the strongman bow in his own temple. I just am really blessed by that.

God with us, the hope of glory. We have this treasure in earthen vessels. Thank you, Jesus.

-C

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts