Saturday, December 26, 2009

The cornucopia of salvation

Yes, yes, I know.... the phrase is actually "a horn of salvation." But I like cornucopia better. Cornu and horn mean the same thing. In Scripture "horn" means power, strength. Like a ram's horn that pushes against an enemy. People blew through shofars -- a type of horn. They drank from horns.

But I got to thinking of cornucopias. You know what those are. Large horns with tons of nature's goodies stuffed inside them. A cornucopia tended to overflow. So yeah, I like that...because it's about God's tendency to be generous and when we think of cornucopias, we do not limit the holy one of Israel.

So what exactly is in this horn of salvation?

Well, let's see:

Because of the death and perfect life of Jesus we have:

The mind of Christ
The peace that passes all understanding
The Love of God is shed abroad in our hearts
We have an advocate with the Father
Righteousness before God
The right to use Jesus' name
Adoption into the family of God
Authority to heal the sick, and cleanse the infected
Power to raise the dead and cast out demons
All things are Christ's and all Christ's is ours.
We are more than conquerors through him that loved us
We have a brother named "Amen" (YES) and a Father named YAHWEH(ALWAYS AM)
We were healed by the wounds of Jesus
Ah, I could go on.....

So here's the verse:

Luke 1:
68Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people,

69And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David;

70As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began:

71That we should be saved from our enemies, and from the hand of all that hate us;

72To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant;

73The oath which he sware to our father Abraham,

74That he would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies might serve him without fear,

75In holiness and righteousness before him, all the days of our life.

76And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest: for thou shalt go before the face of the Lord to prepare his ways;

77To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins,

78Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us,

79To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.


Psalm 18

1I will love thee, O LORD, my strength.

2The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

3I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.

2 Samuel 22:2-4 (King James Version)

2And he said, The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer;

3The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence.

4I will call on the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts