Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Understanding His Love

David writes in Psalm 139:6 "Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain." (Psalm 139 is one of my favorite psalms. And I always read it in connection with Isaiah 40. One chapter tells about God's nearness to me, the other tells about God's greatness and farness from we humans.)

Anyway, what knowledge is David talking about? The knowledge of God's love. I won't even discuss the amount of people in cults who think that the knowledge God wants us to know is some odd picayune weird extreme secret doctrine or precise doctrine or behavioral doctrine.

What David was writing about and what I'm thinking about is the knowledge of God's love.

And again, I won't talk about those people who think God's love means they should be licentious in sin because God's love totally cancels out his righteous judgement, or those people who feel they can be hateful towards other people because God only loves their race. I am talking about a simple love between a created being and her creator.

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me. It is high; I cannot attain unto it.

Sometimes I just sit in my bed feeling on the verge. On the verge of what? On the verge of understanding even one percent of God's love. Sometimes I almost glimpse it. I lie in bed almosting it. I feel totally sad and upset sometimes that such knowledge is so wonderful for me. For me. Too lofty for me to attain. I feel that if I understood God's perfect love, the knowledge of that perfect love would cast out all fear. I would understand what is the height and width and depth and length of God's love in us, around us, through us, in Christ. I feel I would immediately be healed of so many hurts, physical and emotional.

I find myself thinking of people who have attained a knowledge of this love. People now on earth, people now in heaven. People in the Bible and known by all. People not in the Bible and known by all. People unknown by most. I ask myself, "How did they attain to this knowledge of God's love?" Well the Holy Spirit helped them attain to it. But they also strove to understand. Paul was dragged into the knowledge of God's love. Murderer though he was, God saw his heart. But think of the other folks who attained to this knowledge of the love of God. Even knowing about a mere 1% of what God's love is like is enough to do miraculous wonders and enough to make folks attempt great deeds.

Smith Wigglesworth, Mother Theresa, Emily Dotson, Andrew Wommack! St Paul. St John. So many people.

What do we have to do? Trust the Word of God. Only believe what the Bible says about that love. The Holy spirit is the word and they agree. If we are in the word, we are in Christ, we are in the spirit. (I forget the verses which show that but for the moment take my word for it. ) We should also fast and strive and pray to God to understand His love for us. That's what I want to do? To totally know God's love.


Psalm 139

For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.

1 O LORD, you have searched me
and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.

3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.

4 Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O LORD.

5 You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.

7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?

8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, [a] you are there.

9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,

10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.

11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,"

12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.

13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

17 How precious to [b] me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!

18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake,
I am still with you.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts